Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I enter the total charity mileage as a single entry for the year that was tracked by a milegae app?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AlanT
Expert Alumni

Can I enter the total charity mileage as a single entry for the year that was tracked by a milegae app?

Yes, you can enter the total charity miles as a single entry.  You do not have to list each trip separately.  

Note Keep the information from your mileage app in case the IRS ever questions the deduction.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

11 Replies
loneofarm

great, but I have to fill in a "date" it's a required field!
AlanT
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can enter the total charity miles as a single entry.  You do not have to list each trip separately.  

Note Keep the information from your mileage app in case the IRS ever questions the deduction.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

how would you list that? what date would you enter for the trip then?
loneofarm

HOW do you fill in the date?it's a required field
fstoda

Click the recurring trip box it the upper field

If I click recurring trip, then the dates show various (perfect).  So I put in the year's total miles and # of trips = 1?

Okay update,  tried this and it won't let me do this because our miles driven for a charity exceed 1,000.  Error message tells me that trip must be less than 1,000 miles.

Help -- we have over 200 individual trips and over 50,000 miles and I do NOT want to hae to enter each trip individually!

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

Enter your estimated number of charitable trips for the year.

Hi Jeffrey --

We have over 200 trips, some 20 miles and some 500 miles.  We kept records of each date of each trip and actual miles.  I want to make sure I undersand -- Are you saying to put in # of trips and do the math to get the average mileage so the total is close to the actual total?  That feels .... weird..  8-)

RayW7
Expert Alumni

According to the IRS, your mileage log must include a record of:

• Your mileage
  • The dates of your business trips
  • Places you drove for business
  • The business purposes for your trips

The IRS also wants to know the total number of miles you drove during the year for business, commuting, and personal driving other than commuting.

By far the best way to prove to the IRS how much you drove for business is to keep contemporaneous records. “Contemporaneous” means your records are created each day you drive for business, or soon thereafter.

Note: medical, business and charitable are the same

Sigh -- good information in the reply  but that is not what I asked.   The question that was asked is Can I put a TOTAL year's worth of mileage in or do I have to log each trip (over 200 individual trips)?  If so how? 

When I try the Recurring Trip box I am limited to 1,000 per trip.

Should I put in actual # of trips and do the math to get approximate total miles (example actual mileage 15,000 so 15 trips at 1,000 miles)?

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can use the word Various for the total charity miles driven during the year, but you must keep your detailed records in case you are audited later for the deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies