lindaboh2001

Can I enter improvements to my home, ie. insulation in the attic and an energy saving air conditioner? If so where do I enter it?

We had more insulation added to the attic (it's over the recommended amount), we also had an energy efficient air condition.  Can I deduct this?  If so how do I do it?

MelaineC

If you made home improvements to your home such as installation in attic, energy saving conditioner or replacing the roof, you will not be able to deduct the cost in the year the improvements were completed.  However, if you keep a track of the expenses you will be able to reduce your taxes if you sell your home.  Also, the credit for purchasing energy saving appliances expired in the tax year 2016.  Please see TurboTax articleHome Improvements and Taxes for more information.

MelaineC