rd527

Can I deduct real estate taxes paid via escrow in 2019, even if the lender did not pay them until 2020?

I refinanced in October of 2019, and my new lender did not pay my property taxes until January 2020. I paid this amount via escrow in 2019. Can I still deduct them on my 2019 return even though they do not show on my 2019 1098 form?

KathrynG3

No. You can only deduct them after your lender has paid them. 

Please see Can I deduct property (real estate) taxes? to learn more. This situation is specifically mentioned toward the end of the article.

Per page 7 of the 2019 Schedule A instructions, only taxes paid in 2019 can be deducted for 2019.

KathrynG3