You qualify to deduct personal property (vehicle tax) tax if the following applies:
- You have to itemize your deductions to deduct personal property taxes.
- You can only deduct personal property taxes you paid on property that you own.
- You cannot deduct penalties or late payment fees that appeared on your tax bill.
You can use the steps here below to get to the section to enter your vehicle property taxes.
- Log into your return and click orange Take me to my return button
- Type personal property taxes (exactly as listed) in the Search box in the top right corner
- Click jump to personal property taxes and this will take you to the Property Taxes Paid on Boats and Planes but this is for automobiles as well. Answer Yes and follow the prompts to enter the tax you paid.
- NOTE: Registration fees you pay on your car are also part of the personal property tax, but it's taken care of somewhere else.
Another way to get to this section is by clicking the Federal Taxes tab, choose Deductions & Credits and scroll down to the Cars & Other Things You Own section. Click Start/Update next to Personal Property Tax there and follow prompts.