• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbarkan2
Level 2

Can I deduct my self employed health insurance premiums if my business had a net loss?

If I am self employed and my business had a net loss can I still deduct my health insurance expenses to make the net loss even larger and decrease my income even more?

2 Replies
MarilynG
Level 11

Can I deduct my self employed health insurance premiums if my business had a net loss?

No, you will not be able to deduct your Health Insurance Premiums for self-employment if you have a Loss on Schedule C.

Click the link for an article on deducting health insurance premiums if you're self-employed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
VolvoGirl
Level 15

You can only deduct it on Schedule A for Itemized Deductions.  

Self-employed health insurance deduction goes on Form 1040 Schedule 1 line 29, as long as the expense is not greater than your net self-employment income. If it does exceed your net self-employment income it gets split automatically. An amount equal to your net self-employment income goes on Form 1040 Schedule 1 line 29, and the remainder gets added in to medical expenses on Schedule A.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings