dbarkan2

Can I deduct my self employed health insurance premiums if my business had a net loss?

If I am self employed and my business had a net loss can I still deduct my health insurance expenses to make the net loss even larger and decrease my income even more?

MarilynG

No, you will not be able to deduct your Health Insurance Premiums for self-employment if you have a Loss on Schedule C.

Click the link for an article on deducting health insurance premiums if you're self-employed.

You can only deduct it on Schedule A for Itemized Deductions.  

Self-employed health insurance deduction goes on Form 1040 Schedule 1 line 29, as long as the expense is not greater than your net self-employment income. If it does exceed your net self-employment income it gets split automatically. An amount equal to your net self-employment income goes on Form 1040 Schedule 1 line 29, and the remainder gets added in to medical expenses on Schedule A.