turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct my mileage?

For work I used my personal vehicle, the majority of the job consisted of driving. They paid me 8.75 per hr of driving. For gas they took the miles you drove times 17 and the remaining number would be the amount of gas you were allowed in gallons. Can I still claim the miles I put on my car? I put over 5,000 miles on my personal vehicle for this job. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I deduct my mileage?

If you are an employee who receives a W-2 for your wages, then you cannot claim any employee business expenses, including vehicle mileage, on a federal tax return due to the tax code changes for years 2018 thru 2025.

Can I deduct my mileage?

Are you a W-2 employee or an independent contractor?  If you get a W-2 you cannot deduct anything for mileage or job-related expenses on your federal return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

If you were an independent contractor then you can enter mileage on your Schedule C.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies