kdbeck1989

Can I deduct my home office? I work from a home office 95% of the time for my employer and am paid as a W2 employee. I have a dedicated space in my home.

TomK

Employees working from home can no longer take the home office deduction as of 2018 due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act that was signed into law in December of 2017. Prior to that, employees who worked from home at the convenience of their employer were allowed to deduct home office expenses under the 2% rule.

But if you're self-employed, housing-related expenses such as mortgage interest, rent, utilities, repairs, and depreciation for the portion of your home or rental that you use to run your business are allowable expenses under the home office deduction.

You may be able to claim the home office deduction if your office is:

When you enter your home office information in TurboTax, we'll ask some questions to determine if you can claim the deduction and how much the deduction is worth. You’ll need information like the square footage of your residence and the rooms you worked in.