heatherlarson040

Can I deduct moving expenses that my employer paid for? Some were added to my W-2 some were not. I have an itemized list of all expenses.

bwa
Alumni
Alumni

Not an easy question to answer because you need to assume the employer is handling it correctly.  Many don't.

The way moving expenses are supposed to work is that -

• Reimbursement for nondeductible moving expenses should go on your Form W-2. You can't deduct them because they are "nondeductible."  An example would be reimbursements for temporary quarters, which are not deductible.
  • Reimbursement for deductible moving expenses would not go on your Form W-2. You can't deduct them because you were reimbursed for them. An example would be employer payments for transfer of household goods.

The only deductible moving expenses would be -

• Those that otherwise qualify for deductions and you were not reimbursed, or
  • Those that otherwise qualify for deductions and were mistakenly included on your Form W-2.

In TurboTax, look under the federal taxes deductions and credits tab, then explore on my own, then other deductions and credits, then moving expenses.

bwa
Alumni
Alumni