ckoz

Can i deduct medical expenses for my search and rescue k9 after an injury from a search

KittyM

Yes, you may deduct the costs of owning and operating your search and rescue dog as charitable donations on your return, including the vet bills if he is injured.

KittyM

ckoz

Thank you!  I'm guessing that I will input those under donated items vs money?
KittyM

Yes, they are not treated as non-cash donations.  Thank you for this service you do.
ckoz

Thank you for yours!  I wish I knew I could deduct these expenses 7 years ago!  I only did mileage.
KittyM

You can amend the open years 2015, 2016. and 2017, to claim a refund.  Just search "Amend My Return in TurboTax" in the search bar above.
ckoz

Thank you!!