dgifinance

Can I deduct from 1099 income my premiums included in W-2 earnings if my company offers group health insurance? I chose to buy private supplemental ins. I am on Medicare

I have 1099 income for work as a contractor. Also have W-2 salary. Company paid on our behalf the premiums for Supplemental and Part D of medicare. Entered in W-2 as taxable earnings. Can I deduct those premiums from my schedule C?

Thanks

Coleen3

Unfortunately, no. Even if you were able to, it would not be deductible on Schedule C. It would be deducted on Line 29 of your 1040.

• Eligibility is determined month-by-month
    You can only claim the health insurance premiums write-off for months when neither you nor your spouse were eligible to participate in an employer-subsidized health plan. For example, if you were single and ineligible for any employer-provided health plan during the last six months of the year because you left your job and started your own business, you can claim the deduction for premiums you paid for coverage during that six-month period.

Coleen3