DirtDoc

Can I deduct for both home offices if, as a writer, I have an office in my main residence and in a country home where I go to focus when I have major writing projects?

I spend about 40 days per year writing at the country home office. My business income is mainly from royalties for books written in both offices.

IreneS

UPDATED FOR TAX YEAR 2019

Maybe.  The key is whether the office is used exclusively for business.  If you also use it for personal purposes the other 325 days of the year, then unfortunately it doesn't qualify as a "business use of home."

Both areas are considered "business use of home" if they meet any of the following requirements:

• Exclusively and regularly as your principal place of business;
  • Exclusively and regularly as a place where you meet or deal with patients, clients, or customers in the normal course of your trade or business;
  • In the case of a separate structure which is not attached to your home, in connection with your trade or business;
  • On a regular basis for certain storage use;
  • For rental use (see Pub. 527); or
  • As a daycare facility (see Daycare Facility, later).

[IRS Pub. 587 - Business Use of Your Home]

IreneS

UPDATED FOR TAX YEAR 2019

• For rental use (see Pub. 527); or