turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nmn0404

Can I deduct fees for my license renewal as a Physical Therapist?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
EricG1

Yes, you can deduct license fees for improving/maintaining/renewing your trade.  You can deduct the class fee since the class is for the same trade.

You can enter the fees for license under Professional, the class fee can be entered under Other Expenses... where you put your own description and an amount.  

Notes:  

• To be deductible, your expenses must be for education that either maintains or improves your job skills, or is required by your employer or by law to keep your salary, status or job. Expenses to learn a new trade or job aren't deductible. 
  • As self employed- they are your business expenses; as an employee, they are your Job-related expenses in TurboTax.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
EricG1

Yes, you can deduct license fees for improving/maintaining/renewing your trade.  You can deduct the class fee since the class is for the same trade.

You can enter the fees for license under Professional, the class fee can be entered under Other Expenses... where you put your own description and an amount.  

Notes:  

• To be deductible, your expenses must be for education that either maintains or improves your job skills, or is required by your employer or by law to keep your salary, status or job. Expenses to learn a new trade or job aren't deductible. 
  • As self employed- they are your business expenses; as an employee, they are your Job-related expenses in TurboTax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies