megancobbhall

Can I deduct fees for international calls placed for work purposes from my personal cell phone if my employer will not reimburse?

Coleen3

Yes, any expenses you must pay out of pocket for work are deductible, including cell phone charges. 

As an employee, you may be able to deduct certain unreimbursed expenses that the IRS considers "ordinary and necessary" to do your job. That would include things like:

• Union dues
  • Tools
  • Dues or subscriptions to professional societies
  • Licenses
  • Travel and meals for business, including DOT per diem
  • Home office
  • Excess educator expenses
  • Education that either maintains or improves job skills or is required to keep your salary or job.

However, employees can't deduct mileage or commuting costs between their home and main workplace.

Job-related expenses aren't fully deductible as they're subject to the 2% rule.

STEPS

1. Open (continue) your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. Inside your program, search for job search expenses and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Enter your occupation, click Continue, and keep going until you get to the Job-Related Expenses screen.