ritadmesser

Can i deduct conference related expenses?

I am a mental health therapist and self-employed. I sometimes speak at events or run workshops on topics closely related to my profession, though they are not counseling activities. Can I deduct my lodging or conference fees as business expenses, regardless of whether I am paid for the events? All of my wages are 1099.

KarenL2

Yes, absolutely, you can deduct them.  They could be considered as Advertising expenses for the conference fees you pay at which you speak or provide a workshop. Then, your travel and lodging expenses (if out of town) would be in the Business Travel area of Other Common Business Expenses.

KarenL2