turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

elbadrmm

Can I deduct cash money I paid to a friend to help me move as a moving expense?

In November, 2016 I relocated to a different state to start a new job. My new job location is more than 326 miles from my former residence. On December, 2016 I submitted to my employer receipts for moving expenses which included lodging, transportation and meals. I also  submitted receipts for temporary living expenses. I didn't claim any moving expense deduction on my 2016 tax return and was reimbursed for my moving expenses under an accountable plan from my employer in 2017. On my 2017 W2, part of the reimbursement is listed under box 12 with code p and the other part is  listed under box 1(Wages, tips and other compensation).  In February 2017, I paid out of pocket the expense of moving my household goods to my new residence location.  My employer did not reimburse me for this expense. I couldn't take the time off work to go pick up my households goods myself,  so a friend of mine stored  my household goods for over 60 days. Then he used his truck and trailer to  move my household goods to my new residence. I paid him $500 but I have no receipts of this. Can I deduct the $500 as a moving expense on my 2017 tax return? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

While this qualifies as a moving deduction, you cannot claim a deduction for which you do not have a receipt.

Even if you were to draft a receipt, a cash payment to a friend will not survive IRS scrutiny.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

While this qualifies as a moving deduction, you cannot claim a deduction for which you do not have a receipt.

Even if you were to draft a receipt, a cash payment to a friend will not survive IRS scrutiny.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies