cynselm

Can I deduct books for my classroom library & prizes for my classroom from places like Party City as job related expenses beyond the $250?

I have already deducted the standard $250, but have spent more than that towards my classroom supplies. I am trying to find out if these additional expenses can be deducted.

DianeW

Yes, if you paid expenses above and beyond the $250 for your classroom see the explanation below.

• If you had qualified expenses in excess of the amount that you can take as an adjustment to gross income, you can deduct them as an itemized deduction subject to the 2% limit on miscellaneous itemized deductions.
  • Click this link for more information: IRS Topic 458-Educator Expense Deduction

DianeW