micagnew

Can I deduct a top of the line computer I bought because I needed a good one at home, as I began working from home a few days each week this year?

I perform some intricate work for my job, like editing video and his-resolution photos, so I needed a computer at home that could handle that. I work from home 3 days a week and in the office the other two.

TomD8

This web reference gives the details on deducting a computer used wholly or partially for work:  https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/deducting-computers-bought-work.html

It is not necessary to have an IRS-defined "home office" in order to take this deduction.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

TomD8

ChrisVonHoep

The home office deduction is a method that may potentially allow you to deduct expenses for office equipment including computers necessary for work. 

Check Setting Up a Home Office for more info to see if you qualify.