turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct a long term capital loss? I am using the self employed turbo software? Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SeanE1

Can I deduct a long term capital loss? I am using the self employed turbo software? Thank you.

You are not required to report a long-term capital loss (LTCL) on your income taxes. However, you would want to claim a (LTCL) if you had other capital gains to offset or just had the loss itself.  You may claim up to $1,500 (Single) in capital losses or $3,000 (Married Filing Jointly) in capital losses which reduces your taxable income. If your LTCL is greater than this, the excess can be carried forward and used in future years. I have included a LINK below that will give you more information if you are interested.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/ten-important-facts-about-capital-gains-and-losses 

You can report your capital loss using Turbotax Self-Employed.  Just open your tax return and select Federal Taxes at the top of your screen.

• From here click the blue Add More Income button and select See list of all income

• Scroll down to Investment Income and select Start to the right of Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds and Other

• Input your capital sales transaction(s).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SeanE1

You are not required to report a long-term capital loss (LTCL) on your income taxes. However, you would want to claim a (LTCL) if you had other capital gains to offset or just had the loss itself.  You may claim up to $1,500 (Single) in capital losses or $3,000 (Married Filing Jointly) in capital losses which reduces your taxable income. If your LTCL is greater than this, the excess can be carried forward and used in future years. I have included a LINK below that will give you more information if you are interested.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/ten-important-facts-about-capital-gains-and-losses 

You can report your capital loss using Turbotax Self-Employed.  Just open your tax return and select Federal Taxes at the top of your screen.

• From here click the blue Add More Income button and select See list of all income

• Scroll down to Investment Income and select Start to the right of Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds and Other

• Input your capital sales transaction(s).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies