ay1987

Can i deduct a charitable contribution toward a fund generated by my employer

my employer sets up a fund that we can donate to that can benefit a fellow employee if something financially devastating happens to them. can I deduct my contributions to that fund on my taxes?

SteamTrain

You will have to ask the employer whether it is set up as a 501c3

.....I doubt it, but maybe it is.  Only donations to a 501c3 setup are deductible....and you cannot direct it to any person or family.

Otherwise, it is just a gift to help someone else out and is not deductible from Federal income.

_____________________

They "might" have set it up that way though...if you put money in the fund before anything happens, and they use it to help people who have a disaster....but you, yourself cannot control who it goes to if set up that way.  But the 501c3 designation is critical tax-wise.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

SteamTrain

_____________________