janice0513

Can I deduct (1) home sitter payments, (2) credit card interest, (3) property taxes?

I'm an 86-year-old, legally blind widow and a home sitter comes in each week to help me with meals and household tasks.  Can I deduct what I have paid her?
ColeenD3

You can include in medical expenses wages and other amounts you pay for nursing services. The services need not be performed by a nurse as long as the services are of a kind generally performed by a nurse. This includes services connected with caring for the patient's condition, such as giving medication or changing dressings, as well as bathing and grooming the patient. These services can be provided in your home or another care facility. Generally, only the amount spent for nursing services is a medical expense. If the attendant also provides personal and household services, amounts paid to the attendant must be divided between the time spent performing household and personal services and the time spent for nursing services.

Mike9241

credit card interest is not deductible unless it relates to your self-employment income. property taxes are deductible but you only get a benefit if your itemized deduction exceeds your standard deduction.