joyfor

Can I contest the fact that last year someone claimed a child that lived in my home from the end of July 2016 and still living in my home?

The child must have lived with you for more than half the year in 2016; yours didn't..

The end of July to the end of the year was not more than half the year.

If this child is not closely related to you, he/she must have lived with you all year.

If the child lives with you for all of 2017, you may be able to claim the child on your 2017 tax return when you file it in early 2018.

IRS interview to help determine who can be claimed:

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Who-Can-I-Claim-as-a-Dependent%3F

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3113432-who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent