Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

markattax

Can I claim the $250,000 capital gain exclusion on a 1041 federal tax return for when Settlor is still alive and qualifies for the two years in her own home before sale?

Property was held in irrevocable trust.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim the $250,000 capital gain exclusion on a 1041 federal tax return for when Settlor is still alive and qualifies for the two years in her own home before sale?

You can only claim the Section 121 exclusion if the trust is a grantor trust (i.e., treated as owned by the settlor).

Treas. Reg. §1.121-1(c)(3)(i):

Ownership and use requirements 

(i)Trusts. If a residence is owned by a trust, for the period that a taxpayer is treated under sections 671 through 679 (relating to the treatment of grantors and others as substantial owners) as the owner of the trust or the portion of the trust that includes the residence, the taxpayer will be treated as owning the residence for purposes of satisfying the 2-year ownership requirement of section 121, and the sale or exchange by the trust will be treated as if made by the taxpayer.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You can only claim the Section 121 exclusion if the trust is a grantor trust (i.e., treated as owned by the settlor).

Treas. Reg. §1.121-1(c)(3)(i):

Ownership and use requirements 

(i)Trusts. If a residence is owned by a trust, for the period that a taxpayer is treated under sections 671 through 679 (relating to the treatment of grantors and others as substantial owners) as the owner of the trust or the portion of the trust that includes the residence, the taxpayer will be treated as owning the residence for purposes of satisfying the 2-year ownership requirement of section 121, and the sale or exchange by the trust will be treated as if made by the taxpayer.  

fbusler

Who then files the tax return?  The trust who would get the exclusion or the grantor on their personal 1040?  If the gain is less than $250k, does the sale need to be reported at all?  A 1099 was issued.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies