jberger357

Can I claim moving costs for moving to a new state by choice. I was applying to new jobs before the move and got a job offer before moving and then moved with no reimbursement from the new companies. Before I moved I was also unemployed

MaryK1

Yes, you can deduct moving expenses if you are moving by choice or if you were unemployed before the move, as long as all the requirements are met:

You can deduct your moving expenses if you meet all three of the following requirements.

• Your move is closely related to the start of work.
  • You meet the distance test.
  • You meet the time test.

Go to this website to follow the flow chart for qualifications.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p521/15040e02.html

MaryK1

• You meet the distance test.
  • You meet the time test.