margieahorton

Can i claim mortgage interest if my name is on deed not loan and I can show proof of paying

My in laws live in our basement and we support them 100%.  The note is in hteir name and the deed is in ours.  Since we pay all the fees associated with the mortgage and can prove that can we claim the mortgage interest?  we also claim them as dependents
MargaretL

Yes, you can deduct the mortgage interest if you own a qualified home and you paid the mortgage interest. 

Here is an excerpt from a Turbo Tax article about this deduction: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Home-Ownership/Deducting-Mortgage-Interest-FAQs/INF12... (Here's the entire article).

"Who gets to take the deduction? You do, if you are the primary borrower, you are legally obligated to pay the debt and you actually make the payments. "

RichardK

Yes, you can deduct mortgage interest if your name is on the deed and the mortgage is secured by your residence, refer to IRS publication 936.