blayne2011

Can I claim interest on a mortgage in my girlfriend's name if I'm claiming her and I pay all mortgage payments?

macuser_22

You can only claim the mortgage interest if  the following conditions are met:

1) You are legally liable to pay the mortgage.

a) Your name is on the mortgage loan as a responsible party.

OR b) Your name is on the title of the property that could be foreclosed if the mortgage is not paid.

Lacking that then your paying the mortgage is simply a non-reportable gift to your GF.

No.  If the mortgage and/or deed are not in YOUR name you cannot claim the interest.

macuser_22

blayne2011

thank you!