turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim exempt from withholding on W4 if it's my first time filing taxes?

Hi, I am a 19 year old college student starting my first part-time job this semester. On my W-4 it says I can claim exemption if 

• Last year I had a right to a refund of ALL Federal income tax withheld because I had NO tax liability.
  • This year I expect a refund of ALL Federal income tax withheld because I expect to have NO tax liability.

Last year I had no tax liability since I had no income (my parents supported me financially through college and I live with them in the summer). This year I expect to have no liability because I am only making 8.25 an hour working 8 to 10 hours a week, for about 15 weeks. Therefore, I should only make around $1200 max. Does this mean I should claim I am exempt, or just claim one allowance?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You should claim Exempt for 2019 if your only income for the year will be wages from a job where you get a W-2, and the total wages will be less than $12,200. You will not owe any federal income tax.

If you have any other income the picture could change. Post details. Some examples of possible other income include interest from a bank account, cash for working off the books, or scholarship money not used for tuition.

You probably won't owe any state tax either, but check your state's filing requirements.

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes you can but it may be better to claim 1 or 2 exemptions  - 1 under line A on page 3  - yourself and 1 under line D on same page  - only one job .    Note that if claiming 1 or 2 rather than exempt  no new w-4 would need to be filed  if your situation changes in that you'll owe taxes because strictly because your wages exceed 

$12,200 for 2019.      

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies