turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lkwilson9

Can I claim capital gain for insurance payment and loss for sell of the property?

I have a 2nd home I purchased for a family member.  The home burned and was badly damaged.  Insurance payment will result in a capital gain based since it is for more than what I purchased the home for.  If I sell the property for a loss as compared to the value when I purchased it - can I claim both the capital gain from the insurance payment and the losses from the sale of the property?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Can I claim capital gain for insurance payment and loss for sell of the property?

Unfortunately, things don't work that way. You will pay taxes on any gain realized from the insurance payout. Just keep in mind that taxable gain will only be the amount of the payout that exceeds your cost basis.

As for the losses, that's not going to happen unfortunately. Losses on the sale of personal property are not deductible.

lkwilson9

Even if the house is still there, but just needs the repairs?
Carl
Level 15

You can not deduct losses on the sale of personal property. The condition of the property doesn't matter. Personal property is personal property. Deductions for a loss are not allowed.
lkwilson9

How do I enter the capital gain in Turbo Tax for the 2nd home that was burned?  Which form?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies