mread37

Can I claim a medical dependent if I pay my sons health insurance through my child support payments?

Are you the one who is paying the child support or the one who is receiving child support?
Hal_Al

Good question! I've revised my answer to include that.
Hal_Al

Yes,  if you are the parent receiving the payments, unless the child support payments were specifically designated for medical. That money is considered your money to spend as you see fit. No, if you are the one paying the child support. Payments designated as child support are never deductible. 

Yes, but your question is academic.The term "medical dependent does not apply to divorced and separated parents. A special rule allows either parent to claim medical expenses, they pay for their child, regardless of whether they are claiming the child as a dependent. Again, child support received is  generally considered your money to spend as you see fit.