turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

garon

Can I avoid the program entering my mortgage interest on form 8829, line 10, indirect expenses for home office? I wish too keep all of that interest on Schedule A.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardG

Can I avoid the program entering my mortgage interest on form 8829, line 10, indirect expenses for home office? I wish too keep all of that interest on Schedule A.

TurboTax will keep only a portion of your mortgage interest on Form 8829 as part of the home office expense.  The program will transfer the remainder of the mortgage interest to Schedule A.  For example, if your home office is 10% of your home's total square footage, 10% of the interest stays with home office and 90% will go on Schedule A.  If you prefer to keep all your mortgage interest on Schedule A, you can switch to using the simplified home office deduction of $5 a square foot for the office.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RichardG

TurboTax will keep only a portion of your mortgage interest on Form 8829 as part of the home office expense.  The program will transfer the remainder of the mortgage interest to Schedule A.  For example, if your home office is 10% of your home's total square footage, 10% of the interest stays with home office and 90% will go on Schedule A.  If you prefer to keep all your mortgage interest on Schedule A, you can switch to using the simplified home office deduction of $5 a square foot for the office.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies