turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I apply a property tax payment I made in January 2017 to my 2016 taxes? Or do I have to wait until 2017 taxes? I changed from escrow taking care of it in Sept '16.

When we refinanced in September 2016, we did NOT open an escrow account. In 2015, our escrow account paid our 2015 taxes.  I did not pay our 2016 taxes in 2016, not realizing the tax implications (silly, i know).
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Can I apply a property tax payment I made in January 2017 to my 2016 taxes? Or do I have to wait until 2017 taxes? I changed from escrow taking care of it in Sept '16.

You can only deduct property taxes actually paid in 2016 on your 2016 tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

You can only deduct property taxes actually paid in 2016 on your 2016 tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Sorry if you paid it in 2017 it will go on your 2017 return next year.  Then you will even have more with your payments for 2017.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies