josephpterranova

Can I adjust my home's basis-for home office depreciation-with improvements over time of ownership (15y)? I once tried but was told I must first amend previous returns.

Purchased older home in 2005, have more than doubled my purchase price over the years with renovations, but never increased my basis for home-office depreciation 8826 purposes--I was told I would need to go back and amend a decade  of returns in order to do so.
MaryK1101

You cannot change the basis you have been using, but you can add any improvement as a separate asset to reflect the additional depreciation. 

josephpterranova

Right. (Sorry, Mary. After posting, I remembered looking that up last year, and the answer...duh)