jschelling

Can deduct property taxes separately if my monthly mortgage payment includes property taxes?

My monthly mortgage payment includes interest, principal, property taxes, and homeowners insurance.  I have entered the amount from box 1 of the Mortgage Interest Statement (1098) in the Mortage Interest section.  Can I also deduct property taxes in the Property (Real Estate) Taxes section?

MichaelL1

It can be entered in either area.  

Just make sure the total property taxes paid for the year is entered only once and not duplicated.  

You should know approx. how they are for the year, so just double check that. 

MichaelL1

It can be entered in either area.