turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can assisted living rent be included in itemizing deductions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

Some portion of the monthly fee (rent) for a Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC or life plan community) is attributable to maintaining healthcare facilities available to the occupants and is deductible as a medical expense, whether they use them or not. 

Typically, the facility operator sends out an annual statement or letter that tells the occupants what percentage of the monthly fee qualifies as a medical expense deduction. If you didn't get one, contact the operator

"To the extent entrance fees or independent living monthly fees are used to subsidize assisted living and skilled nursing operations, they should be deductible as prepaid medical expenses".

For more information, see: http://www.mylifesite.net/blog/post/taking-advantage-of-the-tax-benefits-of-ccrcs

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ToddL

Some portion of the monthly fee (rent) for a Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC or life plan community) is attributable to maintaining healthcare facilities available to the occupants and is deductible as a medical expense, whether they use them or not. 

Typically, the facility operator sends out an annual statement or letter that tells the occupants what percentage of the monthly fee qualifies as a medical expense deduction. If you didn't get one, contact the operator

"To the extent entrance fees or independent living monthly fees are used to subsidize assisted living and skilled nursing operations, they should be deductible as prepaid medical expenses".

For more information, see: http://www.mylifesite.net/blog/post/taking-advantage-of-the-tax-benefits-of-ccrcs

SteveG_VA

All well and good.  However, I seem to recall that in an earlier version of the tax code, the deductibility was to last for only 10 years from effective date of the code (which date I forget). That was, in effect, a 10-year "grace period."  Am I hallucinating, or is there anything to this recollection? Please set me straight on this.  Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies