turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

California real estate tax withholding

Escrow is suppose to send to California the 3.33% real estate withholding from closing.  How do I know if they ever did that because I never received a CA Form 593?  I did a search and this is where you are suppose to enter the withholding amount.

Select Federal Taxes and Deductions and Credits.
Choose Explore on my own or I'll choose what I work on.
Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid, and click Start/Update next to Other Income Taxes.
On the next screen check Start/Update next to Withholding not already entered on a W-2 or 1099.
Enter your real estate withholding information, and click Continue when finished.
Return to your California state return, going through to the end to the very last screen. Enter the real estate withholding information again.

What else am I suppose to do?  If the withholding was already sent to the state, then why must we enter this again?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

California real estate tax withholding

If you didn't receive Form 593 then you might have a hard time convincing the FTB you had that tax withheld. You should contact the withholding agent to get your copy.

You have to enter it that way in TT to get it reported correctly. Filling out the TT/Calif 593 worksheet gets it into your e-filed return. If you file by paper you have to attach the 593 hard copy to your Calif return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies