bryshome

CA HSA, can I override the deduction since it is not an employer contribution it sees on W-2. It is my contribution.

TT is saying that CA handles HSA differently and won't allow my contributions since it thinks they are employer contributions from my W-2. How do I override?

First, the IRS considers any contribution from your employer or from you through a payroll deduction plan to be the "employer contribution". This terminology is counter-intuitive, but everyone has to use it.

Second, California does not permit the HSA deduction, no matter if it is from you or from your employer.

So TurboTax correctly adds the amount in box 12 with a code of "W" on your W-2 back to federal income to make your state income.

The only exception would be if you were not a resident of California all year while there were contributions to your HSA.

rw73588

How do i override On Short term 

rw73588

How do i overide on short term  in colum 1a

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing