turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

newjimmy

Donated car and received Form 1098C. Org kept it so no proceeds from sale in box 4c of the form. TurboTax reduces value to $0 instead of my estimate? How do I show value?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MichaelDC

Donated car and received Form 1098C. Org kept it so no proceeds from sale in box 4c of the form. TurboTax reduces value to $0 instead of my estimate? How do I show value?

Box 5a should be checked if their intent to keep and use the vehicle for their charitable work or improve it. You can deduct the fair market value for the vehicle in this case.

The Fair Market Value won't be found on the 1098-C however. This is something you have to provide yourself. Just in case, see the attached screenshot below where in TurboTax to enter this. Click to enlarge. It's on the screen immediately after the Choose a category for this donation screen.

How do I determine the FMV of my car?

The most accurate method is to look for private party ads for similar vehicles for sale in your area. If you can't find sales ads for similar vehicles, the easiest way to find that is through Kelley Blue Book. https://www.kbb.com/whats-my-car-worth/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies