Solved: Both methods are fine. In general, you should divi...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EK1

Do unmarried co-owners of a home need to take house-related deductions in porportion to payments actually made?

My partner and I purchased a home together in 2016, we are both on the mortgage, and both listed on the 1098 (though I'm listed first).  My question goes to allocation of the house-related deduction (interest, PMI, taxes).   We pay via a shared account, some months 50/50, some months differently based on other expenses that come up for maintenance, etc. and who pays for those expenses.   Should we stick to the 50/50 allocation of the deductions, or actually add up the amounts each contributed for the year, and get a ratio? It seems like 50/50 would be the most straight forward. 

Thanks in advance.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Level 9

Do unmarried co-owners of a home need to take house-related deductions in porportion to payments actually made?

Both methods are fine. In general, you should divide your expenses based on who paid them; but since they are deducted form a joint account, you can divide them 50/50.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Level 9

Both methods are fine. In general, you should divide your expenses based on who paid them; but since they are deducted form a joint account, you can divide them 50/50.

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings