turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sat000

I have a new employer and plan to utilize COBRA for the next 15 months due to the costs. Can I still contribute to my HSA during this time or should I max b4 I leave?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a new employer and plan to utilize COBRA for the next 15 months due to the costs. Can I still contribute to my HSA during this time or should I max b4 I leave?

Assuming the COBRA insurance qualifies to contribute to an HSA, you can contribute to an HSA for 2018 anytime before April 15th, 2019.

However, if the HSA is held by your employer, they could have restrictions, and you would need to ask your employer about that.

Otherwise, you could open a HSA at many other financial institutions, and contribute to that account.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Assuming the COBRA insurance qualifies to contribute to an HSA, you can contribute to an HSA for 2018 anytime before April 15th, 2019.

However, if the HSA is held by your employer, they could have restrictions, and you would need to ask your employer about that.

Otherwise, you could open a HSA at many other financial institutions, and contribute to that account.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies