Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Assisting child with their housing

Hi, I send monthly checks to my child's landlord to help wit their housing costs.  They file their own taxes and are not my dependent.   Can I enter this contribution on my 1040?
2 Replies
Level 15

Assisting child with their housing

Sorry no. 

Level 15

Assisting child with their housing

Money you are giving your child to help with rent is a gift to your child.  Gifts to individuals are not deductible, nor are they taxable to the person who receives the gift.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Privacy Settings