turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

omri-shir

As self-employed, can I deduct public transportation fees when I commute from my home office to temporary workplaces and back home?

I do half the amount of work at my home office, and other times have to take the bus/subway to specific locations for certain clients. Since I don't travel by car, can I deduct those fees?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

As self-employed, can I deduct public transportation fees when I commute from my home office to temporary workplaces and back home?

Yes. 

If you're self-employed, your deductible miles depend on where your self-employed business is located. If you maintain an office at home, all your miles are typically deductible from your "office" to any place business related. You have no commuting in this instance.

If you operate your business from somewhere other than your home, you can't deduct the miles you drive from home to your first business-related stop. They are commuting miles and therefore, not deductible. Of course, you can deduct driving costs from your business location to the bank, a client's office, etc.

You may be able to claim the home office deduction if your office is used regularly and exclusively for your business and is your principal place of business.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies