Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mffjcmf

As an American Living in France, do I have until June1st to file my taxes? If I owe & will I have to pay a late penalty?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

As an American Living in France, do I have until June1st to file my taxes? If I owe & will I have to pay a late penalty?

Yes, you do have an automatic extension of 2 months. The IRS will know that you automatically qualified and didn't have to file an extension because - when you do file your return -  you must attach a statement to your return explaining which of the situations below qualified you for an extension. 

Only 2 situations qualify for an automatic 2-month extension; you are allowed one if on the regular due date of your return:

• You are living outside of the United States and Puerto Rico and your main place of business or post of duty is outside the United States and Puerto Rico, or
  • You are in military or naval service on duty outside the United States and Puerto Rico

If you qualify for one of the above (which you do), you are allowed an automatic 2-month extension to file your return and pay federal income tax... so no penalty on the unpaid amount but you will have to pay interest on any tax not paid by the regular due date of your return. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Yes, you do have an automatic extension of 2 months. The IRS will know that you automatically qualified and didn't have to file an extension because - when you do file your return -  you must attach a statement to your return explaining which of the situations below qualified you for an extension. 

Only 2 situations qualify for an automatic 2-month extension; you are allowed one if on the regular due date of your return:

• You are living outside of the United States and Puerto Rico and your main place of business or post of duty is outside the United States and Puerto Rico, or
  • You are in military or naval service on duty outside the United States and Puerto Rico

If you qualify for one of the above (which you do), you are allowed an automatic 2-month extension to file your return and pay federal income tax... so no penalty on the unpaid amount but you will have to pay interest on any tax not paid by the regular due date of your return. 

mffjcmf

Thank you!
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

My pleasure and good luck in 2017!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies