turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

As a sole proprietor I understand that I qualify for the QBI deduction. Is that in addition to the standard deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Ashby

As a sole proprietor I understand that I qualify for the QBI deduction. Is that in addition to the standard deduction?

Yes, you get the standard deduction which is just tied to your filing status - $12,000 single/$24,000 married filing jointly.

The QBI deduction is a potential 20% deduction from taxable income based on the amount of business/self-employment income you have.

These are completely independent of each other and you can have both.

Thank you! The reason I ask is because turbotax self employed did not calculate it that way or I am looking at it wrong. From my calculations for example are 100,000 QBI- 20% deduction puts it at 80,000 then the standard deduction for single is 12,000. Should taxable income in this case be 68,000 (barring any losses etc)
Ashby

There's an entire calculation worksheet, but it's more like Adjusted Gross Income minus Standard Deduction multiplied by 20% gets your QBI deduction.

Okay, when I run the math it does not appear that the software is taking it into consideration. How can I double check that it is actually on my file?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies