turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pria25

As a married person in California, does your bank account that you acquired before marriage become community property ?

In 2018 I gifted my mom over $15k. However, My tax attorney is telling me that I don’t have to file a gift tax return form since I gifted below the annual exclusion amount of $30k. He says that if you are married in California, it counts as joint community property. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

As a married person in California, does your bank account that you acquired before marriage become community property ?

Here is an article with more information on the gift tax: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/estates/the-gift-tax-made-simple/L5tGWVC8N

"For example, say you gave $30,000 to your child in 2018. By treating it as a split gift, you can completely shelter the gift with your $15,000 exclusion plus your spouse’s $15,000 exclusion. That way no gift tax is due, and the gift doesn't reduce the $11.180 million lifetime gift tax exemption in effect for 2018 or the estate tax exemption for you or your spouse. If you choose to make a split gift, you must file Form 709, and your spouse must consent to the arrangement."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies