pria25

As a married person in California, does your bank account that you acquired before marriage become community property ?

In 2018 I gifted my mom over $15k. However, My tax attorney is telling me that I don’t have to file a gift tax return form since I gifted below the annual exclusion amount of $30k. He says that if you are married in California, it counts as joint community property. 

Here is an article with more information on the gift tax: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/estates/the-gift-tax-made-simple/L5tGWVC8N

"For example, say you gave $30,000 to your child in 2018. By treating it as a split gift, you can completely shelter the gift with your $15,000 exclusion plus your spouse’s $15,000 exclusion. That way no gift tax is due, and the gift doesn't reduce the $11.180 million lifetime gift tax exemption in effect for 2018 or the estate tax exemption for you or your spouse. If you choose to make a split gift, you must file Form 709, and your spouse must consent to the arrangement."

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing