Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dheeru17

I am an on F1 OPT status working currently as a full time employee. I have created my profile and even paid tax filing fee however I didn't see any option for Non-Resident so I haven't filed the taxes yet. Can you please let me know how do I add that info

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I am an on F1 OPT status working currently as a full time employee. I have created my profile and even paid tax filing fee however I didn't see any option for Non-Resident so I haven't filed the taxes yet. Can you please let me know how do I add that info

When did you first enter US with your F-1 visa?
dheeru17

Around 3 years back in August 2014
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

As a F-1 visa holder, you are considered as "exempt" meaning not counting days for five years starting from the date of your first arrival in the United States.  After the five years period, you will start counting days by using the Substantial Presence Test  to see if you qualify to be treated as a US resident for tax purposes.

In your situation, you are considered as a nonresident from 2014-2018 filing a Form 1040NR.  Starting from 01/01/2019, you will start counting your days.  If you meet the Substantial Presence Test in 2019, you will be considered a US resident for tax purposes and file a Form 1040 for your tax year of 2019.

For more examples, see :https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/alien-residency-examples

-As TurboTax does not support Form 1040NR, you will not be able to use TurboTax to file your nonresident taxes.  However, we have a partnership with Sprintax who offers filing solution to our nonresident TurboTax customers.                    See Visit the TurboTax/Sprintax site.

dheeru17

Thank you for the response! I will use Sprintax. However, how can I claim the fee I already paid on TurboTax. Given that I didn't file the taxes, I hope I can get a refund at this stage. Thanks!
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

You will need to contact the TurboTax Support for the refund. Click on <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300041">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300041</a>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies