turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Septic system - 2017 paid for replacement design, license for local town. Can I claim that for 2017 AND claim 2018 replacement costs?

Specifically asking if I can 'double-dip" the credit or should I wait for the 2018 number as that will be substantially larger?  Thanks 🙂

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieH1

Septic system - 2017 paid for replacement design, license for local town. Can I claim that for 2017 AND claim 2018 replacement costs?

Are you talking about a rental property?  

Septic Tank replacements and improvements such as yours increase the cost basis of your home which may benefit you at the time of sale but are not deductible. The higher cost basis, the lower your profit, the lower your tax bill.

If it is a rental property, the IRS considers a septic system to be a capital improvement rather than an expense on a rental.  So you'll depreciate it over 27.5 years rather than deducting it.  You could, however, possibly deduct the design and license in 2017 as expenses since you paid them in 2017.

Here is a link to IRS Publication 527, Residential Rental Property, which discusses all aspects of this topic.  Note table 1-1 beginning on page 5.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p527.pdf 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JulieH1

Are you talking about a rental property?  

Septic Tank replacements and improvements such as yours increase the cost basis of your home which may benefit you at the time of sale but are not deductible. The higher cost basis, the lower your profit, the lower your tax bill.

If it is a rental property, the IRS considers a septic system to be a capital improvement rather than an expense on a rental.  So you'll depreciate it over 27.5 years rather than deducting it.  You could, however, possibly deduct the design and license in 2017 as expenses since you paid them in 2017.

Here is a link to IRS Publication 527, Residential Rental Property, which discusses all aspects of this topic.  Note table 1-1 beginning on page 5.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p527.pdf 

I am not renting but am the owner.  Specifically, the TT App's HELP says (in the MA State section) The Septic Credit is available to owners of residential property who repair or replace a failed septic system.  So which is the accurate ruling / interpretation?  Thanks
JulieH1

Ok.  I wasnt sure if you meant for your state or federal.  I would wait until 2018 to get the max credit.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies