turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have 2 states with incomes, how do I separate these from where they are entered in the Federal package?

I have a payment and bank interest earned in a different state. 

These have been entered into the Federal forms, but I can't find how to separate them between the two states I have to file in. 

It appears everything is applied to the one state data collection. I have gone into the second state but don't see where the data can be entered there.

Help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have 2 states with incomes, how do I separate these from where they are entered in the Federal package?

OK so after the Federal return is finished you will do to part year resident state returns.

TurboTax will carry over the amounts from the Federal and then will ask questions regarding what was earned in State #1.

1st state you will need to report the home sale, and income earned in first state.

Then you will do same with #2 state only home sale not shown on #2 and some of the interest will be on state #2. If you cannot tell exactly how much interest was earned in each state then just do it by moneys.  #1 two months and #2 ten months. So if you got $1,200 interest income the first state would have $200 and the second state would have $1,000.

Make sure all the income is accounted for between the two states.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Are you a part year resident of two states?

Yes, moved in February. Had home sale and income in 1st state then in 2nd state bank interest, etc.

OK so after the Federal return is finished you will do to part year resident state returns.

TurboTax will carry over the amounts from the Federal and then will ask questions regarding what was earned in State #1.

1st state you will need to report the home sale, and income earned in first state.

Then you will do same with #2 state only home sale not shown on #2 and some of the interest will be on state #2. If you cannot tell exactly how much interest was earned in each state then just do it by moneys.  #1 two months and #2 ten months. So if you got $1,200 interest income the first state would have $200 and the second state would have $1,000.

Make sure all the income is accounted for between the two states.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies