Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

American opportunity tax credit

I made the mistake by filing my taxes without claiming the american opportunity tax credit. Can I go back, amend, and file for it now or is it too late?
1 Reply
Level 15
Level 15

American opportunity tax credit

You can file an amended return to claim the credit. Don't file the amended return until your first return has been accepted and you have received the original refund.

An amended return has to be filed on a special form, Form 1040X. It cannot be e-filed. You have to print it and file it by mail. It takes the IRS up to 16 weeks to process an amended return.

Go to the following link for instructions to amend a 2016 tax return that you filed with TurboTax Online.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings