Amend returns to revoke Foreign Earned Income Excl...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Amend returns to revoke Foreign Earned Income Exclusion for last 3 years to begin making IRA contributions

Until last year, I hadn’t been able to make any contributions to my IRA.  I live abroad and have been using the FEIE.  I made a contribution in 2019 before realizing taking the FEIE then barred me from doing so.  I plan to make contributions every year from now on, so it appears I need to revoke the FEIE going forward.  (I’m open to suggestions if someone has another idea - my income is generally low, around 25K.) 

Can I amend my last 3 returns (I believe that's the maximum number of years I can go back) to revoke the FEIE?  I only made an IRA contribution for 2019, so I assume after amended it would correct the problem and I wouldn't have to pay the 6% penalty.

I understand that once you revoke the FEIE you must wait 5 years before you have the option to claim it again.  After amending the last 3 years, am I correct to assume that means I would then only have to wait 2 more years?  And after 5 years, am I simply able to begin using the FEIE again if I want, or is there some process I have to through?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 Reply
Level 15

Amend returns to revoke Foreign Earned Income Exclusion for last 3 years to begin making IRA contributions

Straight from the horse's mouth... Think long and hard before you make this decision it may not be worth doing.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/revoking-your-choice-to-exclude-foreign-earn...

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings