Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Am I Subject To Alternative Minimum Tax?

I have a passive income investment with property I am leasing to a business.  It is 5-year property for depreciation purposes, eligible for bonus depreciation, but I will probably opt out of the bonus depreciation and use straight-line depreciation.  The depreciation deduction each year will completely offset the rental income for the 5-year depreciation period.  So, I will not be showing taxable income for the first 5 years on the investment.  Am I going to be subject to the alternative minimum tax for this?  It is only a passive income investment (not a business), and my primary source of income is W-2 income from my job.   So, I will be paying income taxes each year for my job, but the investment itself will not show taxable income for 5 years.   

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Possibly.  There is no quick and easy formula to compute Alternate Minimum Taxes.  You can use tax planning software like Intuit Taxcaster.  

There is not a version for five years from now, but you can get an idea based on what your projections will be,  The threshold will probably be changed.  They are currently ridiculously low.

Alternative Minimum Tax: Common Questions - TurboTax Tax Tips & Videos (intuit.com)

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Possibly.  There is no quick and easy formula to compute Alternate Minimum Taxes.  You can use tax planning software like Intuit Taxcaster.  

There is not a version for five years from now, but you can get an idea based on what your projections will be,  The threshold will probably be changed.  They are currently ridiculously low.

Alternative Minimum Tax: Common Questions - TurboTax Tax Tips & Videos (intuit.com)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies